Reporting Options

Reporting an Incident to Title IX 

Reporting sexual harassment, sexual assault, domestic or dating violence, and stalking can help to ensure your safety and the safety of the GW community.  Please note that reporting to the Title IX Office is not the same thing as filing a formal complaint with the Title IX Office.  You are able to make a report to our office without filing a formal complaint. 

If you choose to make a report to the Title IX Office, we will first send the Complainant (the person who experienced the harmful behavior) an outreach email.  This might be you or someone else if you are reporting on behalf of soemone else.  The Complainant does not need to respond to our outreach email if they do not feel comfortable doing so.  However, if they choose to do so, the Complainant can schedule an intake meeting with a member of the Title IX team to learn about supportive measures and resources available to them as well as their reporting and resolution options.

Even if you do not want to file a Formal Complaint through the university or file a police report, we encourage you to talk to the Title IX Office to learn about your options so that you can make an informed decision about your best next step.

Supportive measures are available regardless of whether you choose to file a Formal Complainant or pursue a Formal Resolution of your case.

You are encouraged to report any incident of sexual harassment, sexual assault, domestic or dating violence, and stalking to the Title IX Office even if you were not directly involved and even if you wish to remain anonymous.

You can make a report by clicking the button below and completing the online reporting form.  You can also email [email protected] or call 202-994-7434. 

Report an Incident

File a Police Report 

A police report is a formal statement made to the GW Police Department (GWPD) or Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) recording the details of an incident and the identities of others involved.

Call GWPD at 202-994-6111 to file a report.

Reporting Process 

A GWPD officer will meet with you and ask you for details about what happened. You can request that a member of The Office of Advocacy and Support be present during the conversation for support.

A report filed with GWPD will not automatically start an investigation. Your report will first be reviewed by the Victim Services Specialist or the Title IX Coordinator and and then you will be contacted by them to discuss your options.

Additional Actions 

Filing a police report can be an important step if you want to seek a Civil Protection Order through the civil court system. It can also be helpful, though it is not required, if you want to pursue a student conduct complaint.

If you are interested in criminal charges or a criminal investigation, GWPD can also help you file a report with The Metropolitan Police Department. An MPD report would start a formal investigation.

File a Complaint with the Title IX Office 

When a Complainant files a Formal Complaint with the Title IX Office and it is approved, the Complainant may request that the University engage in Alternative Resolution or a Formal Resolution.

  • Alternative Resolution, an informal framework that includes informal or restorative options for resolving reports. 
  • Formal Resolution, formal procedures that involve an investigation, a hearing with cross-examination, and if a violation of the Policy is determined by a preponderance of the evidence (more likely than not), the imposition of sanctions. 

Both parties must agree to Alternative Resolution. Alternative resolution is not available where the Complainant is a student and the Respondent is an employee.

Schedule an appointment with the Title IX office to learn more about these processes.

Additional information can also be found in the Title IX Sexual Harassment and Related Conduct Policy.

File an Anonymous or Third Party Report

You are welcome and encouraged to share information about an incident even if you:

  • were not directly involved in the situation

  • would like to remain anonymous

Please share whatever information you are comfortable sharing. Even if you do not know all of the relevant details, you are welcome and encouraged to report.

All information submitted will be reviewed by the Title IX office. The university will attempt to address the situation, beginning by reaching out to the Complainant (the individual who is alleged to have experienced sexual harassment). 

Keep in mind that if not enough relevant facts are provided or the complainant does not participate in the follow up, the university may be limited in its ability to address the incident.

Report an Incident



Other Options for Support

speech bubble icon


Talk to Someone


Backpack icon


University Assistance


legal scales icon


Legal Support




Reporting Options