Supportive Measures

Supportive Measures are non-disciplinary, non-punitive individualized services, accommodations, and other assistance that the university may put in place for Complainants, Respondents, and occasionally to third parties without fee or charge.  Supportive measures are designed to restore or preserve access to the university’s education programs and activities and protect the safety of all parties and the university’s educational environment while not being punitive in nature or unreasonably burdening any party. 


Supportive measures are available to you regardless of whether you choose to file a formal complaint or seek a formal resolution of your complaint. 


Some examples may include:

  • Facilitating access to counseling and medical services;
  • Guidance in obtaining a sexual assault forensic examination;
  • Assistance in arranging rescheduling of exams and assignments and extensions of deadlines;
  • Academic support;
  • Assistance in requesting long-term academic accommodations through Disability Support Services (DSS) if the individual qualifies as an individual with a disability;
  • Change in class schedule, including the ability to transfer course sections or withdraw from a course;
  • Changes to university work schedules and/or job assignments
  • Mutual No Contact Order


No Contact Orders 

No Contact Orders (NCOs) are a type of supportive measure available through the Title IX Office and the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities (SRR).  Campus Living and Residential Engagement (Housing) also issues these orders.

No Contact Orders are designed to curtail contact and communication between two or more individuals for a variety of reasons, including an effort to maintain, for all involved, access to educational programs and activities and an environment free from harassment.  


Mutual No Contact Orders:

  • Are issued mutually between two or more individuals (meaning all individuals involved will receive the same instruction not to communicate with each other);
  • Direct individual(s) to have no communication, in person, by phone, letter, email, text message, through social media, or by other means with each other;
  • Are not a punitive or disciplinary action;
  • Do not indicate a finding of wrongdoing or responsibility for a violation of a university policy; 
  • Do not become part of an individual’s conduct records at the University or, by itself, initiate a disciplinary process; and
  • Are not reported to third parties as disciplinary action (for example, when an employer or a graduate program requests information on a student’s academic or conduct record).


How Do I Obtain a Mutual No Contact Order?

Mutual no contact orders may be issued at the request of one or more individuals or a designated university office may issue an order on its own.   If you would like to request an order or discuss your eligibility for an order, please contact [email protected] or [email protected].  


What Does “Mutual” mean? 

A mutual no contact order means that both individual(s) have received the same directive not to communicate with one another. Mutual does not mean that the individuals involved have agreed that the university should issue the order. 


I am the one who asked for the no-contact order. Why does the no contact order need to be mutual? 

We understand that especially for people who request the no-contact order, they may want the no-contact order to only be directed at the other person. For a no-contact order to be one-directional, a person would have to have been found to have violated policy and be sanctioned accordingly. We understand that many people seeking no-contact orders want them implemented more immediately, and making the no-contact order mutual allows us to implement it without waiting for a full and final case determination. 


Does a mutual no contact order prevent students from taking classes together or participating in student activities or sports teams?

No.  A mutual no contact order prevents communication between individuals but does not restrict access to classes or university programs or activities. If you have a mutual no contact order, you may still be in the same class, student organization, or other university related activity with the other individual(s). Similarly, there is no distance requirement to the no contact order; rather it focuses on communication. If you must communicate with someone in the context of a class or activity, this may not be considered a violation of the NCO as long as the communication is directly related to that activity. We would encourage you to reach out to discuss any questions or concerns you have regarding potential interaction with the other party. 


Who outside of the university will know when a mutual no contact order is issued?

A mutual no contact order will not be reported as disciplinary action to third parties. This means that if a third party, such as an employer or another university, were to reach out regarding an individual’s disciplinary conduct record a mutual no contact order would not be disclosed. 


What individuals or departments within the university are notified when a mutual no contact order is issued?

The individuals named in the order will be notified simultaneously when a no contact order is issued.  Additionally, no contact orders are also automatically shared with GWPD, Student Rights and Responsibilities, and the Office of Advocacy and Support.  Other university offices may also be notified on a need to know basis.


What if I only want a mutual no contact order, but I do not want to do an investigation, or any other conduct process? 

A no contact order is considered a supportive measure, and one would not have to engage in a Title IX investigation or any other conduct process in order to obtain one.


Is it possible to remove a mutual no contact order? 

Please contact the Title IX Office or Student Rights and Responsibilities to discuss options to remove mutual no contact orders.


What should I do if someone violates a no contact order?

In the event that a violation of an NCO occurs and you are experiencing an immediate safety concern, you should contact GWPD at 202-994-6111 or local emergency services.   Violations of a no contact order should also be reported to the Title IX Office or Student Rights and Responsibilities and may result in conduct charges being brought by the university.


Can I review a mutual no contact order template?

If you would like to see a template copy of a mutual no contact order issued by the Title IX Office and the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities, please click here.   



Please see the Policy for a more comprehensive list of Supportive Measures


Other Options for Support

speech bubble icon


Talk to Someone


Backpack icon


University Assistance


legal scales icon


Legal Support




Reporting Options