Title IX and Pregnancy

Title IX’s prohibition against discrimination based on sex, includes discrimination against pregnant students in university programs and activities. Title IX also prohibits treating one sex differently than another with regard to parental status.    

You may request supportive measures through the Title IX Office as a result of pregnancy, childbirth, and conditions related to pregnancy.  If you have a chronic medical condition related to pregnancy and/or if you experience a pregnancy-related complication, you may also contact Disability Support Services for further support.  

Regardless of your circumstance, the Title IX Office is available to guide you to the office best situated to handle your requests.  The Title IX Office encourages pregnant students to schedule a meeting with the Title IX Office to discuss your options and the availability of supportive measures.


What types of supportive measures are offered through the Title IX Office for pregnant students?

Supportive measures are made on a case-by-case basis and may include:

  • Assistance with course load and scheduling

  • Excused absences for pregnancy or childbirth

  • Classroom modifications such as requesting a larger desk

  • Permitting temporary access to elevators

  • Rescheduling tests or exams

  • Options for making up missed work

  • Breaks during class as needed

This list is not exhaustive. Please contact the Title IX Office at [email protected] to discuss individualized options that will best support you. 


Resources for further support:

Student Health Center (Medical and Counseling Services)

GW Lactation Rooms 

Disability Support Services 

GW Law's Disability Support Services Website 

Equal Employment Opportunity & Access (for employees)

Faculty Affairs Office 


Reporting Harassment/ Discrimination Based on Pregnancy 

If you would like to report harassment and/or Discrimination based on pregnancy or parental status, and you are a student, please see the Student Greivance Procedures. If you are an employee, please contact the Equal Employment Opportunity and Access Office. Finally, if you are a faculty member, please contact the Faculty Affairs Office.